Dev Diary #16

A little glimpse inside the mind of the developers.
SweetSpot
Developer
Developer

Dev Diary #16

Post by SweetSpot » January 16th, 2018, 12:14 pm

Hello again! Richard here, it’s been awhile since I did one of these. I have spent this time learning more and more skills in college that will make the work I do for Digital Meatloaf exponentially better, as you will soon see.

What’s been done
I finished my first semester in Animation, studying 3D modelling and learning new ways to find my creativity; helping me get past an artist's-block I had been experiencing in the past. I have studied the creations of Shi Kai Wang, the designer of the covenant from halo; analyzing his style of geometry and alien-shapes, and how he achieved the feeling of enigma his designs have. Since the covenant has always heavily inspired me, and is part of the inspiration for the Ishan faction, this analysis period has given me a multitude of new ideas for ship and station design, as well as graphic feel. With these new ideas and understanding, I truly feel once again I am going to be able to design a faction that feels alien in a way no-one has seen. A style of sci-fi unique in today’s world. I have already begun sketching again, and I am about halfway through the Ishan stations, and the influence of what I have learned is clear in them; they look as elegant as ever.

What’s to come
I have begun my second semester as a 3D animator, with many side courses in game-design. While my course load will be much heavier, I am going to learn a lot of new skills, including; audio design, more advanced animation, and (most excitingly) game and texture design. With my newfound insight I plan to get the Ishan stations sketched and modelled before my coursework picks up too much, and in the future, I would also like to go back over and redesign several of my previous Ishan models. While I have heard nothing but praise for the models I have cranked out, I feel that many of them are not near as good as they should be, especially now that I am a better designer. I want to, and am rapidly gaining the skills needed, to make the Ishan visually stand out from the alien races in today's culture.

As my new life in the big city continues to grow, and my academic adventure plays out, I watch myself day by day go from a hobbyist to a professional animator and designer. I will continue to balance college and Digital Meatloaf, and when I am finished I will be a versatile designing force to be reckoned with, and I will funnel it all into this studio.