Dev Diary #10

A little glimpse inside the mind of the developers.
notethedruid
Developer
Developer

Dev Diary #10

Post by notethedruid » November 15th, 2017, 5:34 pm

Hey guys! Notethedruid here bringing you an update on my progress as a texture artist for Digital Meatloaf. I'm currently tasked with all those purdy colors you will be seeing on the Ronin ships. Two ships have been completed, the Foil and the Berlin. Currently doing some minor fixes to the Berlin adding some windows and other things. After that I will continue my progress on the Med Scimitar a T1 ship. Each model was very fun to take through the process of texturing. My process consists of creating uv's in 3D Max then it's onto Zbrush for the creation of the high poly mesh. After that I send it all back to Max, make some tweaks if need be then export it to Xnormal for map baking. Everything then gets sent to Photoshop for the creation of the basic texture and any emissive lights. Finally I do any fine details such as adding grim, scratches and chipped paint in Quixel NDo and DDo. But, there are times when you get some form of hiccup like a bad bake or the normal map comes out perfect, but there is one little spot that decided to not cooperate with you. Like this past week the worst possible hiccup my baby Barbra (yes i named my laptop Barbra) keeled over in the dead of night. I had her for 4 years and was deeply saddened, but I always keep backups of my work on several drives so my work was not lost. I had a mini funeral service for her and everything so when you guys see the Berlin think of Barbra lol she did that! However, a lot of things these days can be fixed within Photoshop with the wave of a paintbrush (except Barbra). Anywho I will leave you with some snippets of the Berlin ship I'm currently working on. Thanks again and keep an eye out for more dev diary updates!