Dev Diary #8

A little glimpse inside the mind of the developers.
Guardian
Developer
Developer

Dev Diary #8

Post by Guardian » November 1st, 2017, 4:37 pm

Hello. I am Esteban Lopez and I am the other texture artist at Digital Meatloaf (“HEY TISHA, WE ARE FAMOUS!”). I am the newest member of the team and I am having a blast working on this project while honing my skills.

The Call To Adventure:
As many of us in here and everywhere, I was introduced to video games at an early age. The very first game I played was Super Mario Bros 3 on the NES and as soon as I saw the game’s splash screen I knew what I wanted to do with my life. It was not only because of the flashy colors and pretty graphics on the screens but the stories, adventures and battles fought in them as far as I can remember. Whether I was happy or sad in my childhood, there was always a game there waiting for me to press start.
Super Natural Aid:
Years later I finally had made the decision to go to a school for video game design and development because I really wanted to make my passion into my career. Like Brandon, we did a little bit of everything there, but never really focused into creating something. I was lucky to meet three awesome professors there who cared about us learning something and went above and beyond to make sure we did so, I can’t thank these people enough for their efforts. (Ross, Rob and Nick, I am finally taking the first step)

After getting out of school I had basic experience in C++, C#(Unity) and 3D modeling, but this is where the true learning began because I no longer had anyone to hold my hand and it is a big and scary world out here :shock: .

Threshold Guardian:
I found that self learning is quite hard, so eventually I found a job on something that wasn’t remotely related to computers, but money was good, so I stayed there for a while. However, as time passed by, I realized that even though I was making good money I totally hated my job and was miserable everyday. One day I visited a video game shop where they had old consoles, in there either by chance or design I happened to see a little kid playing Super Mario Bros 3 on a NES they had setup at the store and then it hit me: seeing this kid having so much fun with this game reminded me of how much child me had enjoyed that very same game and how I had promised to myself to become a developer one day. A few hours later I quit my job. After getting a part time job, I went back to my one and true love, Game Development.

It wasn’t easy to get back into it because in the months I spent working the technology had changed a lot. Fortunately, the basic concepts of what I already knew remained the same, so I didn’t have to start from scratch. I got Unity and coded some simple prototypes just to get back into the habit, then word got to me that Epic made Unreal Engine free, so I quickly switched engines and started to relearn the one language I love above them all, C++.
Finding that my love for everything tech had been reignited I decided to study Computer Science at the University of Western Ontario (GO CANADA!), where I am currently in my second year, but I didn’t stop there. I love every single aspect of game development and I know I can’t do it all, so I decided to focus on the things I like the most which are programming, 3D modeling and texturing, so when I am not working on assignments I am working on this project and when I take breaks I dive into Unreal to create prototypes, so I can learn the engine.
Threshold (Beginning of transformation)
After doing a few practice 3d modeling projects using 3DS Max and Blender I decided it was time for me to learn texturing, so I grabbed a Substance Painter license and after practicing on my own I thought to take my skills to the next level. I signed up in Simbi.com and I noticed Sean was looking for a texture artist, so I messaged him and we started talking, right after that I did a trial run and as soon as I had finished he gave me a spot on the team which I am so thrilled to be a part of.
Revelation:
As I already mentioned. I am a texture artist for Project Black Raven. I am having a wonderful time working on the game’s models and I am doing my best because in the end I want to play this game too!

Well, that is all for today folks. Thank you for keeping me company and don’t forget to stay tuned for more Black Raven news!