Dev Diary #4

A little glimpse inside the mind of the developers.
skywardstarer
Developer
Developer

Dev Diary #4

Post by skywardstarer » October 5th, 2017, 8:12 pm

Hey, I’m Jonathan Horne and I am one of the game programmers alongside Hibma and Bonnell. I’m pretty new to Digital Meatloaf and to being part of a team like this but I’m giving it all I’ve got.

A Long Time Ago

Video games have always been a part of my life somehow. They are how I made most of my friends since Kindergarten, and I have never stopped playing. I play all kinds of games from Pokemon to Metal Gear, if the game is good I’ll play it. I have always considered video games to be more than just simple games to play, but a way to become invested in a world and story in a way that you can’t with a movie or book sometimes. They can also provide you with some of the most unique challenges and decisions you’ll ever face. All of these unique aspects of video games have always had such a big part of my life that I realized I couldn’t imagine them not being a part of my life, and more than that, I wanted to be a part of a team that will make great games.

In This Galaxy

I am currently enrolled at MTSU in the computer science program with Hibma. Most of my relevant experience involves maps, grids, and things like that. Much of this last summer was coincidentally spent on researching many of the ideas and concepts that I was going to use on a game with some similar mechanics, the code I had already written happened to be in the language we were all using, and we are using the same game engine. So it really seems as though everything lined up perfectly for this to happen.

Not So Long Ago

A lot of what I’ve been working on lately has been the terrain generation. Randomly generated terrain that looks good, but more importantly, makes the game fun is the goal. Once that’s out the way I’ll begin working on the pathfinding, and implementing the game models for the terrain (Asteroids, suns, etc.). And soon I’ll hope to begin working on a map editor as well to allow for players to create all kinds of custom maps, but I’m probably getting way ahead of myself here.

Thanks for following our dev diaries, and I hope you come back next week for more updates!